Monday, September 12, 2011

Ghetto vs. Redneck (But they actually have more in common than you think)

I grew up in a working-class black neighborhood, AKA: the ghetto, but my 1st office job was in Gwinnet as an intern co-op back in 1997, OTP (Outside The Perimeter of Atlanta). Surrounded by rednecks, but not in a pejorative way & a couple of engineers from up north. My boss looked like the guy from King of the Hill & talked like him "I'll tell you what."

What I noticed the similarities & the same dichotomy that people in the ghetto go through. Meaning the dichotomy between ghetto-ignorant & ghetto-humble. I noticed that my fellow redneck engineers back in Gwinnett & one old guy actually had a red neck (Oh that's where it comes from), they got an education & have white-collar jobs but came from humble beginnings.

But just as the dichotomy of ghetto-ignorant & ghetto-humble, they have a redneck vs. trailer trash dichotomy. Redneck in a non-pejorative sense as Jeff Foxworthy's "You know you're a redneck when ...." which uses a sense a humor to remark of the working-class humble beginnings of Foxworthy's upbringing & environment. 

Then you have trailer trash, non college educated who lives up to the stereotype. But I learned this in 1997 from my fellow engineers who I respected & respected me. I admired their smarts because they were smart people. 

But they also ran into the same problem who came from humble beginnings from the ghetto. They were proud of being "Rednecks", but at moments ashamed of their other peers who gave off the "trailer trash" image, because they themselves thought they have transcended that stereotype but their peers keep pulling them down. 

This is exactly similar with ghetto black folk who worked hard, got a college education to better themselves & not ashamed coming from the ghetto, but at moments, get ashamed when some of their ghetto peers start acting ghetto-ignorant instead of ghetto-humble.

What I'm saying is that a see as similarity of 2 groups of Americans, going through the same scenario even though both groups see the other as completely foreign.

I'm not the only one who picked up on this similarity.
Tavis Smiley had Jeff Foxworthy on his show & Tavis remarked how similar Foxwrothy's "Redneck" humble jokes are similar to growing up in the ghetto. Tavis even remarked if you replaced the word "Redneck" with "Ghetto" as in "You know you're Ghetto when ...." & changing nothing else, the context of the jokes would still work for the most part.

This is a message of peace & understanding between two disparate groups.
Cracked magazine also picked up on this similarity, but they humorously concentrated on the "trailer trash" & "ghetto-ignorant" instead of "ghetto-humble" & humble "rednecks".
 At this link , click here - ->   Cracked: Gangsta vs. Rednecks

No comments:

Post a Comment