Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Black & White boxes in America.

This is what I wrote on the "No Reservations", the travel show FB page about the episode where Tony goes to the Philippines with a Filipino-American kid. Being a Indian-American kid, I definitely related.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I Loved the Filipino show. Especially at the end when Tony felt empathy for the Filipino-American kid. I too, growing up Indian-American in the Bible belt, felt that same conflict having no real home.
 
America views itself mostly into black boxes & white boxes. As an American who doesn’t fit in either box, I am viewed as a foreign Indian in America. And when I go to India, I am viewed as a foreign American in India, I have no home.

I can only tell the Filipino-American kid that there is a choice. You can look at it negatively & feel that you have no home in the US or the country of your descent; or look it positively & proclaim that you have 2 homes. The choice is yours.

Even though I am 100% Indian blood, but growing up a hyphenated-American who was not close to his native community, & did not fit into the black/white dichotomy of America; I feel that my experiences are the same to experiences of biracial people. Many biracial feel pressured and forced to choose a side of their identity. Constantly feeling like that they have to prove themselves & justify their identity to other “full-blooded” people.
 
All you can do is just be yourself. The trick is finding out who “yourself” is.

Love the show, keep’em coming Tony & the No Reservations crew.
Gee, hope I didn't strayed too much off topic, just giving my 2 cents on what the show invoked in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment